Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Golden Globes recap

I promised that this blog would have fashion, and have failed to deliver thus far. I'm changing that with the arrival of my top three best dressed and top three worst dressed from the Golden Globes. I'm covering the women and not the men because, let's face it, everyone looks just lovely in a tuxedo.

Worst Dressed

Third on my worst dressed list is Lea Michele of Glee. Was it cute? Sure. But it was a prom dress. I'm not sure she knew that the Golden Globes is a slightly less-formal affair, and she showed up like a prom queen. Also, I didn't like black for her. She should have chosen a color that was bright and fun and young. Emphasis on young. This looks like something Liz Taylor would wear, not an up-and-coming starlet. I found the rest of the Glee cast to be much more appropriately dressed.

Second on my worst list is Julia Roberts. A knee-length dress, hair down, and a statement necklace? It was more appropriate for attending a baby shower than an awards show. I get that the Globes aren't the Oscars, but it was just way too casual in my opinion.

First on my worst list is Jennifer Garner. The color of her dress completely washes her out, and the asymmetry is anything but cutting edge. I also can't figure out what she was thinking with her hair. That's what I do with my hair on a bad hair day! Not a good way to show up on the red carpet.

Best Dressed

Third on my best dressed list is Toni Collette. The dress was utterly fabulous, and she was one of the few people to do a neutral shade well. The gown was perfectly cut, and I think it would make a perfect alternative to a white wedding gown.

Second on best list is Zoe Saldana. Now, I know not everyone will agree with me here. But the dress is a fashion risk, it's edgy, it's the perfect color on her, and it's young. She stood out. She made a statement. It's a win.

First on my best dressed is Penelope Cruz. She did black well, without looking old or sad. She mixed textures without looking like a freak show. And she was smoking hot.

Other Awards

Worst hair: Fergie - work on the dye job and try an updo!
Best hair: Sandra Bullock - a side-do that doesn't look 80s or contrived.
Worst accessorizing: Sigourney Weaver's lack of bling or sparkle
Best accessorizing: Kate Hudson's earrings

Since there were a lot of nude/flesh tones at the Globes (Barrymore, Canalis, Blunt, Morrison) I'm going to do a best and worst use of nude: Best would be Maggie Gyllenhaal and the worst Chloe Sevigny. I'm shocked at how little of a risk the usually out-there Sevigny took. I was almost glad that someone stepped on her dress and she had to change.

My other shout-outs go to Cameron Diaz for pulling off red satin, Heidi Klum for looking damn good so quickly after having a child, and January Jones for rocking a headband.

I would like to have seen more citrus colors - oranges, chartreuses and yellows. I also would have liked metallics such as pewter or copper, and more necklaces. Over all, I had fun watching. Just a few more weeks until the next awards show!

2 comments:

  1. You are so good at this :)

    None of these things are things I would likely notice, but I love being friends with someone who can and does!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ditto Mo. I thoroughly enjoyed reading it.

    ReplyDelete