Saturday, January 2, 2010

Eat It

I really need to change my eating habits.

No red meat, less meat in general, less carbs, less dairy, and less salt. Is that possible? In trying to get back in touch with my body and health I seem to be inflamed, among other things. I need to get back to real food. I need veggies. I need fruit. I need rice and curry and lentils and tea. I certainly to not need any more cookies.

So, I'm welcoming any advice at all about such a diet. I've done vegetarian in college, but probably not very well. I keep a list of superfoods on my fridge, but other than that I don't have a whole lot of sophisticated ideas about how this is going to work.

I live in an area without a Whole Foods or a Trader Joe's. A secondary item, besides figuring out how to eat better day to day, may be finding out where in my city one goes to find healthier, organic choices.

I'll let you know how that goes.

Photo - Sunset.com

3 comments:

  1. This area isn't very friendly for healthy/organic eating. I work very close to both a Whole Foods and a Trader Joe's so if you ever need me to grab stuff for you, just let me know!

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you figure this out, let me know. I think I'm going to try to cut out as much refined sugar as possible from my diet. Its going to be a LOOONNNGGG process. I love me some cookies.

    Obviously, its a lot easier to find organic/fressh/healthy options in spring/summer/fall than in winter. We don't have much in the way of organic out here, either, but I've found a few things. You could join a CSA. Check out this website for local farms www.wisconsinlocalfood.org

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've avoided our local CSA in the past simply due to the high cost. I need to look around to see what I can find that's affordable.

    I just learned a new word - flexitarian: a vegetarian who occassionally eats meat. I think I have a label.

    ReplyDelete