Tuesday, December 21, 2010

A Rant on Wood

I hate the color of the wood trim and cabinets in my house. HATE. That's a really strong word, but that's how I feel. The problem is that the house is only a few years old, and I feel guilty painting over or re-staining wood that is in perfectly good condition.

I still want to understand why the original owners of the house did this. Who says "Can we make this color a little more golden, you know, more 1990s...more Zack Morris's house"? Why couldn't they have gone with a traditional white? A deep cherry? A rich walnut? A modern dove gray? Anything but this color of honey oak that belongs in a kitchen with floral wallpaper borders.

I partially blame the builders for offering such a color. It's like department stores still selling ugly holiday sweaters - if they'd stop selling this shit, people would stop buying it. No one wants to see grandma in ANOTHER candy cane turtleneck, and no one needs a new house with dated woodwork.

No comments:

Post a Comment