Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Run Run

So, I think I’m going to run a race with my friend. Or at least try. It’s a 5k. OMG.

See, I was a “runner” in high school. I use that term with quotation marks, because I don’t consider myself to be a runner. I was a sprinter. Here was the daily drill – two laps jogging around the track (a shortened track, as my HS’s track was a 5-laps-to-a-mile track versus a 4-laps-to-a-mile which is standard for most schools). I often showed up late for the jog so I could get away with just doing one lap. This was followed by stretching, calisthenics, and then either sprinting drills, running stairs, ladders, or some other sprinter-related workout.

I literally have NO endurance. I would occasionally get put into a 4 x 400 m relay, and I’d have to be put into the second runner spot, which was reserved for the worst runner. I was terrible. I wasn’t quite as bad at the 200 m. I was much better at the 100 m. I was GREAT at the 60 m, which is a shortened version of the 100 m reserved for indoor meets. I’m great out of the blocks. Good ol’ Moye starting blocks. And this was younger, fitter me more than 10 years ago, that had to stop running after a stress fracture my junior year. So, you can see where 5k is really intimidating with this kind of background.


My brother is much better than me at this sort of thing. He’s done a couple races. He’s built for distance. And his girlfriend….well, she just won an 8k with a record time recently, and she does triathlon training. So I’m also preparing myself to be embarrassed by my terrible race time. I guess I’ll just have to remind those two that I could TOTALLY beat them in a race across my back yard.

3 comments:

  1. You can do it! If my lazy ass can run 7k on my days off, you can do a 5k! Of course I doubt I'm setting any speed records. I'm just saying it's not as brutal as you remember.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I ran 7/10 of a mile this morning, and felt like I was dying. I forgot how much different it is to run outside versus on my treadmill. I almost had an asthma attack.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not even a full mile? ouch. Maybe you aren't ready for this 5k... time to get training!

    ReplyDelete